I hate a cappella music.
Well, that’s overstating it. I hate a cappella covers of band-driven songs.
- Billy Joel fans expect bluesy piano riffs, not swaying boys in bowties.
- If someone loves the Beatles, they want George’s gently weeping solos, not this guy’s kazoo impression.
- U2 isn’t U2 without The Edge’s shimmering rhythms.
- No one wants to hear a beatboxed Ringo imitation, spat and sputtered into the microphone.
- Your tenor’s falsetto might be pretty sweet, but it ain’t no pennywhistle.
For what it’s worth, I’ve sung in several a cappella groups (some decent, some terrible). I’ve never met an a cappella arrangement that did the original justice. ↩